MMC-International is a leading development consulting firm based in Somalia providing exemplary consulting services to domestic and international clients in the areas of Research and M&E, Policy and Strategy Development, Project Management and Institutional Capacity Development in a wide range of practice areas. MMC-International has been working in Somalia since 2009 mainly supporting and empowering vulnerable women and youth to be socially and economically active through the provision of integrated social and economic empowerment support interventions. Since 2009, through our Vocational Skills Training facility (Modern Industrial Training Centre (MITC), MMC-International has been promoting technical skills training to empower youth, develop the local business environment and instill an entrepreneurial culture. More than 2500 youth and women attained opportunity to enhance employability which a good number have either managed to obtain wage employment or started self-employment with skills gained from MITC.
Currently, the organization is looking to modernize its VST institution and expand access of poor and vulnerable youth and women in work active age to job-oriented and demand-driven skills with the purpose of improving employability and access to decent work opportunities.
With this, MMC- International is looking for qualified candidate to fill the VST Technical Advisor position. The Technical Advisor for Vocational Training will serve as the key staff member responsible for all planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation activities related to MMCI’s vocational-technical skills training. Working closely with the Program Director, the Technical Advisor will ensure that all required systems, policies and procedures are developed, modified and improved in the aforementioned intervention area. The specific responsibilities and qualification requirements of these positions are described below.
- 1. Undertake a quick analysis of the training center and identify gaps in relation to international practices.
- 2. Analyze the capacity of the management and instructors of the Training Centre
- 3. Clearly define the duties, responsibilities and priorities of the works of every instructor including the preparation of their job descriptions and participate in the selection of trainers and trainees.
- 4. Provide training and coaching to the management of the center and the instructors.
- 5. Analyze the needs of the training of equipment including ICT requirements and recommend the list to the project manager for procurement.
- 6. Continually review and update the work plan for the establishment, upgrading and sustainability of the vocational training facility of MMC-International. The work plan will be the basis for periodic review and monitoring.
- 6. Provide technical supervision for the rehabilitation of training facilities
- 7. Ensure an efficient management of resources and assets of the project and training centers.
- 8. Where needed, lead and support the effort of the project clients and training centers in conducting labor market assessment, beneficiary selection and profiling of selected trainees
- 9. Assist in the development of curricula and training materials in the areas of vocational-technical skills training and livelihoods development of curriculum and prepare course syllabuses appropriate to the selected vocational trades.
- 10. Lead to organize, deliver, and oversee all vocational-technical skills training activities for the partner organizations and those delivered by the centre in sole.
- 11. Organize the recruitment, selection, hiring and ToT training for competent and qualified vocational skills training instructors, on an as-needed basis.
- 12. Maintain regular contacts with the key TVET Public, private and NGO stakeholders
- 13. Develop and maintain contacts with prospective implementation and funding partners.
- 14. Identify any problems during implementation and suggest solutions/ corrective measure to Centre Managers, Instructors, Project Managers and MMC Program Director on time.
- 15. Prepare ad-hoc, regular and periodic progress reports as required and a final report at the end of the assignment with conclusions on results achieved, impact lessons learned and recommendations
- 13. Assist the evaluation missions and visits planned by clients to vocational training centers
- 14. Additional duties may be assigned for purposes such as meeting deadlines and other organizational needs.
• Minimum 6 years experiences in vocational-technical skills training; job creation; business development services; youth development; project design and evaluation, and sustainability.
• Bachelor/ Diploma in a relevant field and technical Diploma in VET
• Fluency in English and Somali, written and verbally.
• Ability to write reports, correspondence, proposals, responses to internal and external inquiries, and procedural guidelines.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally – in writing and verbally – with other external inquiries, and procedural guidelines.
• Ability to effectively explain and express – in writing and verbally – concepts, principles and methodology as needed to facilitate support to and collaborative work with staffs and partners in program matters.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft applications and spreadsheets; versatility in using computers including email communication and office management tools.